Saturday, January 9, 2010

Bookety, Book, Book, Book.

Happy 2010!! I can't believe we are already 10 years into the 21st century. We have spent the first 9 days of it as virtual recluses because, baby, it's COLD outside! To qualify that statement, our meteorologist said that our area in Sweet Home Alabama was actually colder than Anchorage, Alaska! Bring back the 50's please. However, we did get about 3 flakes of snow, so that's always a fun perk since it's such a rarity. ;)

Being holed up, I've been hopping around the old blog-o-sphere more where I've noticed that there are people who are purposing to read more in the new year. Some have even called it a resolution. Well. I don't do resolutions because of the emotional breakdown and abject self-torture that I experience when I FAIL, FAIL, FAIL at them.

~deep breath~

Yet, I think that their idea is a great one. They (and I can't for the life of me remember who "they" are), are planning to read 52 books in one year. That's a book a week, based on my advanced mathematical calculations, which, I think that this is an impressive goal. I'm going to change it up for me, though, because I can come up with about 26 things that will keep me from finishing a book a week in this upcoming year. That leaves me with 26 weeks left, so I have decided to set a goal for myself to read 25 books this year. 25 just a better number than 26 in my world. Don't ask.... I can't explain it.

I'm planning to post the title before I begin a book, so that if any of you (if you're still there after all this time... ha-ha!) want to read along with me, you can. I'm also doing it for accountability. I really want to accomplish this! I can't believe how many books I've started and not finished in the last several years. I LOVE to read, but somehow, I've become easily sidetracked. This madness must cease!!

Once I complete the book, I will review it here, and we can discuss it if any of you decided to read, too. I don't have my list yet as I'm planning to sort of grab whatever strikes my fancy, but I'm completely open for recommendations. I'm more of a non fiction gal, because I have issues, which I discussed HERE, but that doesn't mean I won't succumb. ;)

I need to go put some groceries away, but I'll be back soon with my title. Stay warm, friends!!

11 comments:

Caroline said...

Does Dr. Suess count? If so...I'm in!

Maria said...

I'm currently reading TO Kill A Mockingbird.
At the rate i am going at though it will not be 25 for this year...boo.

My next read is patiently waiting for me on my desk..Jane Austens, Pride and Prejudice...

Let the reading begin!

melissajeffers said...

Night by Elie Wiesel

Michelle Smith said...

Yes, Gayle, join me! I'd love to have more of my friends join. You would be the first IRL friend to join the 52 Week Challenge with me! I managed to read 2 books this week, so I know you can do it, too! :)

Heidi said...

You go, girl! I'm doing a few book challenges this year too.
Hey, I'm on blogger now! :)

Liz said...

I set a new reading goal for this year, too. I'm going to try to read 30 novels and 15 non-fiction books. I'm currently reading "Choosing Gratitude: Journey to Joy" by Nancy Leigh DeMoss and highly recommend it. Gratitude is so crucial to our Christian walk, and I think her book is eye-opening to how much we actually grumble about our circumstances.

Unknown said...

That sounds like a great idea. I may have to "change it up" too. I may have to read 12 for the year. So much going on at work, church and home. But, I got some books at Christmas and am waiting on one more from Christianbooks.com. It's Lisa McKay's new book.

Blessings~
Sheryl

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Sounds like a grdat idea....

I have a fun giveaway on my blog...a $100 prize ..comments will be closed on Monday night, but today's entries get extra chances...so stop by and join in the fun.

Donna @ Way More Homemade said...

Great goal. I can't say I'm in though. Reading is just not my thing. I usually purpose to read one a year and that's my limit. :) Currently reading 5 Conversations you Must have with your daughter to go along with the Bible study I'll be leading over the next few weeks.

DaNella Auten said...

I'm reading Jane Eyre... and I just finished Take Two... Ok so how did u do the
"You might also like..." at the bottom? email me that answer please... godlyspice@yahoo.com

Just Me'n Mine said...

Just finished "Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller. Kurt and I are reading it together...well, he is nearly done:), anyway,the subtitle is: "Non-religious thoughts on Christian Spirituality." We both LOVED(ARE LOVING) this book! So real...and really makes you think and examine why you believe certain things and what is really important.