Sunday, November 4, 2007

Crazy 8's

So since I have had serious blogger's block, I was completely thrilled when my good, in-real-life buddy Kim,over at Reformed Grits, tagged me. This is a Crazy 8's meme and it is HARD! I am not sure that I will be able to get 8 things for all of them, but I will make the attempt.

8 things I am passionate about:
*My Father
*My husband
*My children
*Teaching my kids of God and His unfathomable grace and love for them.
*God's truths being rightly divided...I am soooo passionate about this one.
*Growing in my walk and not ever settling down into complacency.
*Figuring out God's plan for me.
*Oh, and I love coffee...alot.

8 things I say often:
*"I'm losing my mind"
*"Give me a minute, please."
*"Give me another minute, please."
*"Put the dog down!"
*"STOP!!!"
*"Do you know how much I love you?"
*"Maa-aaark..."
*"Wanna go get coffee?"

8 books I've read recently:
*Get Out of that Pit by Beth Moore
*Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit by Terri Maxwell
*Ruth-A Portrait by Patricia Cornwell
*Sitting by My Laughing Fire by Ruth Bell Graham
*The Well Trained Mind (again) by Susan Wise Bauer
*A Chance to Die by Elisabeth Elliot (a signed copy, thank you very much)
*South Beach Diet by Arthur Agatston
*Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper

8 things I want to do before I die:
*I want to go to several places in Europe for an extended amount of time.
*I want to be remembered for who I was in the Lord (so whatever that has me doing, I guess).
*I really do want to go back to school (all in God's timing, though).
*I want to see my kids actively and passionately serving Christ.
*I want to enjoy some wonderful years with my sweet Mark after our kids are grown.
*I want to reach as many people for God as He will allow me.
*I want to laugh like crazy when my grandchildren drive their parents nuts (and then give them some candy...with lots of sugar and even more love).

8 songs I can listen to over and over (and probably have):
*Above All
*Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
*Be Thou My Vision
*In Christ Alone
*(Ok y'all, confession time. I am not into music like a normal person. I mean, I don't hate it...but I don't have to have it. In fact, I drive my family beserk because I would MUCH rather listen to talk radio when I am in the van, than music. If I ever get in the mood for music, it is usually classical or Praise and Worship/Hymns. Beyond that, I don't really dig it. Just for the record, this isn't some legalistic conviction...it's just a preference. I know, I'm weird.)
*Soooo, moving right along....we'll just pretend those last two aren't there....
*
*
8 things that attract me to my friends:
*REAL-I seriously cannot do fake or superficial. I just. flat. cannot. It usually only takes people about 5 minutes flat to figure that out with me.
*Their love for God.
*Their realization that we all need a little (or alot of) grace, and that they give it.
*That their families are highest-priority, second only to their Lord.
*Their honesty, even when it's not easy.
*Their ability to laugh like jr. high boys, oftentimes uncontrollably.
*Their ability to cry like the Momma's we are when we hurt.
*Lastly, and this is key: That they accompany me to Starbucks. Everything else would just be out of whack if they quit doing this. Everything.

8 things I have learned in the last year:
*How to truly forgive and be free.
*That God's grace is so much more boundless and undeserved and beautiful than I knew before.
*That contentment doesn't come naturally, therefore, it isn't that widely practiced.
*That my kids are growing up waaaaaay too fast.
*That "it is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all".
*That I don't like 105 degree heat.
*That in a severe drought, you don't have to cut your grass very often.
*That I cannot, in good conscience, spend $4.37 on a latte on a daily basis (or even weekly, truthfully) God help me.

8 people I tag for this meme:
*Whomever
*needs
*something
*to
*blog
*about....
*You're
*it!
But please let me know if you decide to participate! I would really love to read these things about y'all!

5 comments:

javamamma said...

I think we could really be friends....there's just one thing - talk radio?!?!?! I CANNOT STAND talk radio. :)

This was fun though. Like 10 meme's wrapped into one. I'll probably work on it later.

Anonymous said...

Gayle, you know I am just like you with the music! It drives my family nuts! I tell them that long ago I was "into" music but everytime I put on music, my kids would yell to be heard over it. I'd stop the music and listen to them but my whole mojo would be screwed up.
So long ago, I quit listening and I'm terribly behind the times with music.
Thanks for playing!

Anonymous said...

Gayle,
I have been wanting to read Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit. It is definitely something I need to work on. I posted about it not that long ago.
I just wanted to come by and let you know that I have put up a contest on my blog. When you have a few minutes stop by and check it out.
Ruth

ConservaChick said...

I too can't wait to "pay back" my children by sugaring up their kids!
How's the Beth Moore book? It's on my list of books to read.
I'm with you and Emily. LOVE the talk radio! ~K

penny1010 said...

I want to read the Beth Moore book too! It will be on my reading list for 2008. Loved your song list, those are some of my favorites too!