Thursday, July 12, 2007

In The Heavenlies

Have you ever had one of those weeks when you can just feel the battle going on over your head? Well, that was my week.
Now, I am not one to blame the enemy every single time I stub my little toe....believe me. In fact it is one of my top ten pet peeves when folks act like every minor thing that isn't going their way has to be coming from the devil. I do, however, believe that we have a very real and active adversary who is out to thwart the work of our Father in us, and I am becoming more keenly aware of some of his tactics.
I won't go into a lot of detail here in order to protect those that I love, but in a nutshell, there are a few people in my extended family that God is drawing in, and I can see that. It can be so painful to watch them have to get to their lowest respective points before they will look up, but I remember that it is all in God's hands. He has given me the opportunity throughout this week to share His grace and His holy Word with each of them separately and I am so humbly grateful. Nothing on this earth makes me happier than when I can be used of the Lord.
Knowing all of that, you can only imagine how the enemy is fighting. He has done so much to distract, hurt, twist and destroy God's work that it is flat-out bizarre in some instances.
After the hardest day in all of it, I was reading a book of poetry by Ruth Bell Graham in the evening while Mark was watching the news and it got really dark outside. Soon thereafter came a driving rain and wind that was whipping the trees so hard that Mark and I both noticed it at the same time.
I went back to reading my book and after a few minutes, turned to a page that had a picture of the most beautiful rainbow overlooking the mountains where the Graham's home is. I just stared at it for a minute, lost in my thoughts, when....and I kid you not...Andrew came running into the living room hollering about a "big wainbow". I got up and went to the front door and this is what I saw (that's the corner of my screen door there on the left):

I am not mushy, people, but this...THIS was from the Lord. I have no doubt that He placed this big beautiful rainbow right in front of His battle-weary child to remind me that He keeps His promises. Because He is so amazing and wonderful and kind like that.
I'll tell you that I checked out for awhile that evening to lock myself in my closet and worship, and I don't think anything in this world could have stopped me. There is a driving force so strong when God speaks so tangibly to His children that they have no other choice but to drop on their faces in awe. Have you ever experienced anything like that? If so, I would love to hear about it.
Oh, and about the honeybees in the previous post....I have no idea what I was going to say...LOL!
Have a great day everyone! :)

10 comments:

Caroline said...

Beautiful....

God is so good....

Justabeachkat said...

Wow...this post gave me chillbumps. God is awesome.

Hugs!
Kat

javamamma said...

I love when our God raises up a standard against the flood of the enemy. What a powerful testimony of His reality!

KarenW said...

Thanks for sharing! We have been battling the enemy too recently. It's so awesome when God gives us a reminder that His promises are true.

Karen Hossink said...

This was wonderful to read!
I was once at an outdoor Michael W. Smith concert. We were singing Awesome God and as I stood there worshipping, with my hands raised and my heart rejoicing, a strong wind started circulating around the stadium. It hadn't been windy before, and I was just sure it was the Spirit of God enjoying the praises of His people.
I love when He shows Himself - in the wind or the rainbow.

Meliss said...

Thank you for sharing God's beautiful reminder!

Andrea said...

What a great story...thanks for sharing.

God sent me a rainbow once too it was to tell me that I was pregnant with Brooke. It didn't even rain before, He just sent it straight to me. You gotta love it! :)

Unknown said...

GIRL!! I had no idea the picture was THAT beautiful...what an awesome God we serve. If the picture showed up that great, I can't imagine what it looked like in front of your face.

Anonymous said...

That really touched my heart. I have been blessed to have moments like that -- and you are right -- that is GOD, talking right to YOU! What a blessings :)

Hugs,

Sherry

ps I tagged you!

Brigitte said...

He is just such a wonderful God!!

How awesome that He sent you your very own rainbow!