Sunday, September 30, 2007

My Millie

Well, I had high hopes for this post sometime on Thursday. In my mind we would come home from our much anticipated camping trip this weekend, and I would post pictures of a wonderful time with the kids and the several other families that came with us.
I guess I could still do that, because those things did end up happening, but a much more serious and sad thing occurred that will far overshadow this trip in our memories in the years to come.
We took both of our dogs with us when we departed this Friday, which is a standard practice for us everytime we go. Everything was fine as we were setting up camp around 10 a.m., and as the day went on, we were grateful for beautiful, breezy weather. However, our dog Millie, seemed to be a little antsy. We made sure that she (and our other dog, Oreo) had plenty of cool water, and they were both in the shade, but she was still restless. I went ahead and unleashed her, knowing that she would probably do better being free, and that she would never get away from us. She seemed to calm down some, so honestly, we went on about our business.
About an hour later, Mark and I were at the campsite next to ours when Jacob yelled for us because Millie wasn't breathing well. I ran to her and sure enough, her breathing was terribly labored and she was struggling. We scooped her up immediately and rushed her to the animal hospital that was only about a half an hour away, but we didn't make it. We lost her.
I never, never, never would have taken her out of this house if I would have known that something was wrong with her. We are still so completely baffled about what happened to her. Even the vet couldn't figure it out.
We are just so stunned and hurting right now. It is so hard to lose a deeply loved pet, because they are such a part of your day to day life. Even my footsteps are lonely today because I never took them without a furry, sweet and loyal companion right behind me.
I would love to post a picture of my sweet girl for you to see, but I don't think that my heart could stand to see it right now. If you want to do some fishing, I know that I posted about them with pictures recently under the title Precious Pups. And that she was, indeed.

12 comments:

Katie said...

Awww Gayle, I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet girl. I too know hard it can be to lose a beloved pet. My thoughts are with you all.

Caroline said...

Oh Gayle...

My heart is aching for you and your family.

So sorry....losing a beloved pet is so sad.

:*-(

Drewe Llyn said...

I'm so, so sorry, Gayle. We've lost a beloved dog before. I cried for weeks. May God's love comfort you. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Gayle,
I am so very sorry for your loss. I am saying a prayer for your family that you may feel God's loving arms around you.
Hugs,
Crystal (TGR)

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Hey Gayle. I'm so sorry for you guys. How are the kids dealing with it? Love to you!

Reformed Grits said...

Oh my gosh, Gayle, this is so sad! I so sorry for you and your family. :-(

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you Gayle. I'm so sorry; it's just so sad. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Sherry

http://educatingemme.blogspot.com

The Farmer's Wife said...

Awww Gayle, I'm so sorry. Saying a prayer for your famiy.

((Hugs))
Angela

Halfmoon Girl said...

That is so sad. I will pray for you and your family.

Meliss said...

I'm very sorry ((((Gayle))).

Mr. and Mrs. D said...

Hi. I found your blog from Beth Moore's, and I just had to comment. I am so sorry to hear about your Millie. I am a dog lover, too, and I would be heartbroken if something were to happen to my Sissy.

I got my Sissy (miniature poodle) right before my Dad died and my husband left. She became my little "angel." Her kisses and presence brought so much to me and my life.

A couple of years later, I fell in love with a man who lived very far from my state and 4 months ago I moved here to be with him. I made the very painful decision to leave Sis with her grandmother since my mother was having such a hard time already dealing with the loss of her only child.

I have her pic on my phone as the screensaver and every time I open my phone I see her and miss her so much.

So, I do ask that God would heal your heart over your Millie. I understand the pain of losing a dear family member.

His,
Mrs. D

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so, so sorry. We lost our little Westie on July 4th and it truly broke my heart. We always called our two dogs Goodness and Mercy as they followed me all of the days of my life. It's getting easier but I still miss him so much. I will be praying for you.
I really thought our lab, Abby, would miss Sid (Westie) very much. But she has loved being the only one so far. She doesn't leave my side.
Your cakes are gorgeous. Seeing them made me want to give it a try.
Hugs,
Julie D.
www.homeschoolblogger.com/juldos