Thursday, June 26, 2008

Hey! I haven't talked about food in awhile!

The above statement is actually kind of shocking given my love for sustenance. So I'll make up for it with a recipe that will make you want to slap your Mama. It's that good. Presenting the perfect summertime cake:
(Sweet Mary Mother of all things, ain't she pretty?)
Raspberry Lemonade Cake
1 C. very hot water
1 box raspberry gelatin
1 box white cake mix
1/2 C. thawed lemonade concentrate
1/4 C. water
1/3 C. veggie oil
4 egg whites
1 container whipped vanilla frosting
1 C. whipped topping
1 1/2 C. fresh raspberries (garnish)
lemon peel strips (garnish)
Heat oven to 350. Spray bottom of a 13x9" pan with baking spray. In a small bowl, mix hot water and gelatin until completely dissolved; cool slightly. In a large bowl, beat cake mix, 1/4 C. of the gelatin mixture, 1/4 C. of the lemonade concentrate, water, oil, and egg whites with and electric mixer. Pour into pan (reserving remaining gelatin and lemonade concentrate). Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Poke warm cake every inch with fork tines. Remove 1 Tbsp of the gelatin to a small microwavable bowl (like a custard cup). Then mix the gelatin and the lemonade concentrate together. Pour this slowly over the cake. Cool completely (about 1 hour). In medium bowl, fold together frosting and whipped topping; frost cake. Microwave the small bowl of gelatin uncovered and on high for 10 seconds to liquefy. Using spoon or toothpick, swirl gelatin into frosting. Garnish with raspberries and lemon peel strips. Store in the refrigerator.
Now it's your turn. If you need something to blog about, here it is. If you have a recipe that you especially love during this most precious season, please don't be a miser. Just leave me a comment so that we know who's sharing the love.
And if you don't want to participate, say "hi" anyway. It makes my day to hear from you, stingy or not. ;)

15 comments:

EEEEMommy said...

no time to participate just today, but I felt compelled to say hi anyway, despite the fact that you called me stingy. ;P

so since I'm commenting, allow me to say that I love your southern-ness! :)
Have a great weekend!

Gayle said...

Mmmmmm. Oops, I just slapped my mama!

javamamma said...

Not really fair to a gal that's fasting....

Growin' with it said...

okay so i really wanted to toss out the lame banana i was eating and just take a bite out of my monitor, that dessert looks THAT good on here. the recipe looks easy enough too. great idea and oooo i have an easy one also. i'll be sure and post it tomorrow!

Distybug said...

Hey girlfriend! Cake looks delish! Was that your photo or the one from Allrecipes?

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Tell me that is not your actual cake or else I'm breaking up with you.

Miss you!

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

I have no earthly idea where that picture came from (I googled it), but that's exactly what mine looked like...well, minus the lemon strips because Mark would have a stroke.
It's actually our little secret that the cake had lemon in it in the first place (he loved it, so ignorance is bliss). ;)

Leanne said...

I do have some recipes, but I'll share them a bit later....

My mom lives too far away for me to slap.

But I'm sure I would slap her if the cake was THAT good!

Leanne in Longview

Andrea said...

Yum...I will have to get Penn to bake one!

Growin' with it said...

nummy, nummy...i posted my dessert. have a great weekend girl.

KarenW said...

Oh, that looks so good. We'll have to try it. I've got two daughters who are always wanting to bake something. I've got a blog full of recipes. Take a look! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/KarensKitchen/

Anonymous said...

Definitely need to make that cake for Bible study...yummmmmo! :)

Halfmoon Girl said...

MMMM, nummy.

carrie said...

I DID NOT need to see that picture since I'm presently trying my derndest not to eat sweets. I'm going to slap my momma the next time I see her and when she asks me why, I'll just show her that.

Holly said...

Looks like a good addition for the Siesta Cookbook! What do you think? May I use it for your entry?

I am SO glad you were blessed this weekend! I was blessed just reading aout your blessing--we serve the coolest God!