Monday, September 15, 2008

Gatlinburg the Great

Well, we are home again. We had SUCH a great time and it was a perfect fit. Beach schmeach, the mountains were amazing and it was just what this Crew needed for our get-away, but God knew that all along, I guess.

We did so many fun things that if I attempted to put it all on here, your eyes would glaze over before I was even a quarter of the way through it. But, since I can't leave you with NOTHING, here are a few highlights with pictures:

Numero uno was our amazing cabin. Oh, how I loved our little retreat in the woods. I can't for the life of me understand why in the world I don't have any pictures of it though. However, here is one little feature that was adored by each of us:



Love us some jacuzzi, people. LOVE it. There was even a t.v. up above it that didn't make it in the picture. ~sniff~ I probably need to move on because I am seriously going through cabin withdrawls...

It is important to note that, over the weekend, Mark and I made the dreams of certain little 5 year old boy come true, even though we were quite unaware of his longings. It came to our attention that riding a "charlie" (a.k.a. trolley) was indeed on Andrew's top 3 list of "AWESOME" things to do. Who knew? Watch as his joy unfolds:

I want you to know that he was so excited when he started to board "charlie" that his little knees were shaking. AWWWWWW!!!



Almost there....



Phew!! Did you know that this was the self-proclaimed best day of his life? Well, it was.


We went into town where we watched people make candy and then ate it. Alot of it. In fact, I think I've consumed my weight in peanut butter fudge and rock candy and I'm not even sorry about it because it was THAT GOOD.

We rode the sky lift which was breathtaking. Quite literally breathtaking for my sweet Jacob, as you can see here:




No kidding, I don't think he breathed one time while we were ascending the mountain. He did alright on the way back down though, and actually asked to ride it again before you think me too horrid.

Mark, Ty and Andrew were right in front of us soaking up the view:





Speaking of Mark, he just called to tell me he is coming home early because he's sick, so I'd better go get the laundry off of the bed. I will post some more tomorrow...

Oh but here's one more for the road:





26 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Gatlinburg. There is so much to do and the views are amazing. I don't however love the thin, windy roads.

Glad to hear y'all had a great time!

DeeDee said...

Hal and I just went to Pigeon Forge last week... and I (like you) had a hard time not wanting to go to the beach instead...
but WOW...

Love me some mountians too. Peace. Rest. Fun.

And we loved the hot tub too :)

Glad you had a good time.

javamamma said...

Sounds fab!

I LOVE your new blog doo. Very whimsical! ;)

Anonymous said...

You were only here for the weekend!
I was thinking you would be here for a week! It's nice to read about your weekend and how blessed your family was.
I forget how nice we have it out here. I am planning a day to Gatlinburg myself since it is only a hop skip and a jump away for us. I need to get my guy to take off a whole day.

Maria

Katie said...

Sounds like fun, but the skylift thing? Not for me! I really don't like those things!!

Anonymous said...

I literally stumbled upon your blog and enjoy reading. We live about two hours away from Gatlinburg and go at least once per season! Great place! God Bless, Melissa

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and fun! LOVE the new blog! SO pretty!

Krista said...

I love, LOVE the mountains! The views are breathtaking and I love the calmness of it all (unless I have a Drew and Brandi in tow). Love your new look!

Glad you had a wonderful time,
Krista

KarenW said...

What an awesome vacation! I prefer the mountains to the beach. How funny your little guy says "charlie". That's what my kids used to say when we lived in Romania. I thought that was how they heard it through the Romanians' accent.

Andrea said...

Wow...good times!

I wanna ride the charlie too!

Meliss said...

Your blog looks mahvelous!

I loved the story of Andrew and "Charlie" ~ so sweet!

I'm so glad you all had a great time and I hope that your hubby recovers soon.

EEEEMommy said...

We've been there twice and love it! We've never done the chair lift though; mostly we stick to the mountain trails.
How cute that he was so excited about the trolley! ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm still pouting.
You better come for dinner next time, I mean it!
: P

Caroline said...

Glad you are back! I love the mountains too!! Looks like you had a great time.

Give me some details on the cabin. We need to go back....

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I knew y'all would have a fun time!! So glad you got to do that :) Such great pictures too! We want to see and hear more :)

Stacey said...

Awesome trip, Gayle! I'm coveting it, not gonna lie, I didn't get a trip this year! Sigh. But I'm always happy to see such great photos. xo

Just Me'n Mine said...

Did ya forget to tell me something? Glad you had a good time! Hmph! Me picturing you in Calera of all places and there you were in Gatlinburg!

Well, I'm happy for you. Truly I am.

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Sounds perfect! I keep thinking we need a trip to Gatlinburg! It is on the list! :)
Do I recognize that shirt in the funhouse mirror? Did the stain come out?

Growin' With It said...

your adorable little girl surely looks like a beautiful mini you! looks like a gorgeous trip all around! what an awesome way to get ready for winter with such full hearts!

Duckygirl said...

Your trip looks fabulous! A hot tub WooHoo!!! And at the last minute you scored that cabin :)


That last picture is awesome hehehe!

laura

His Girl said...

looks like such an amazing time! glad you were able to get away :)

Michelle said...

We love going to Gatlinburg! Glad y'all had a wonderful time. Love the pictures!!
Hope Mark gets to feeling better soon!
oh, btw, love your new look!

Ashley said...

We honeymooned in Gatlinburg! I loved it and would love to go back someday!

Stacy@hiswaynotmine said...

Love your new look and your trip looks like lots of fun and family time....we always need that!

Anonymous said...

Riding the "charlie!" I love that! The chair lift thing looks exciting. I'm not sure I could have gotten any of my kids to ride it!

Anonymous said...

Gosh you got so close to me again.